Скачать 1.48 Mb.
|Г.И. Сидоренко, И.А. Клыс|
1 Group these nouns into countable and uncountable.
Piano, computer, cheese, car, music, love, information, lady, idea, education, progress, doctor, milk, fact, butter, tomato, table, airport, money, bread, cat, camel, instrument, gold, spaghetti, coffee, bank, student, petrol, meat.
2 Make up pairs of uncountable and countable nouns expressing similar ideas.
MODEL: furniture — table
Food, money, flat, lamp, information, goalkeeper, telescope, traffic, baggage, furniture, guitar, work, loaf, accommodation, football, electricity, job, fruit, banknote, fact, car, music, suitcase, trip, potato, banana, equipment, travel.
3 Use a proper word from the brackets and complete these sentences.
1. Could you pass me ... ? This table is made of .... (a glass, glass)
2. The actor does that for .... There are very many ... in Hyde Park, (an amusement, amusement)
3. ... goes so quickly. She phoned six ... yesterday, (a time, time)
4. Three ... , please. ... makes you fat. (a beer, beer)
5. There's ... in the garden. Do you want ... or beef? (a chicken, chicken)
6.1 need a piece of ... . The house was near ... . (a wood, wood)
7. She looked at him with .... It's ... Ann isn't here, (a pity, Pity)
8. My mother never drinks .... Spain produces some wonderful ... . (a wine, wine)
9. He hasn't got much ... . It was ... I won't forget, (an experience, experience)
10. I'm going out to buy .... Paper is made from ... . (a wood, wood)
4 Give the plurals of the following nouns.
1) Hat, box, day, desk, clock, bus, list, toy, address, brush, face, family, puppy, book, wife, scarf, knife, video, tomato, tree, zoo, shop, man, woman, child, tooth, foot, goose, ox, sheep, deer, means, volcano, church.
2) Schoolboy, postman, hotel-keeper, mother-in-law, passerby, man-servant, woman-doctor, businessman, step-daughter, fingertip, customs-house, housewife, forget-me-not, Englishman.
5 Make these sentences plural.
1. She's a pretty girl.
2. A hen is a bird.
3. Here's a pen and a pencil.
4. He's a pilot.
5. There's a car behind you.
6. A lazy boy isn't a good pupil.
7. There's a bird on the tree.
8. A woman is busier than a man.
9. Where's the key of the door?
10. The tooth is broken.
11. There's an apple in the basket.
12. The child is ill.
13. The photo is excellent.
14. It's a picture of a flower.
15. The foot is sore.
6 Make these sentences singular.
1. The cats caught the mice.
2. The women told the children stories.
3. We saw geese and foxes.
4. The teachers gave some lessons in grammar.
5. The birds were singing in the bushes.
6. The oxen ate the grass.
7. The leaves fell from the trees.
8. The boys had watches.
9. His feet were large.
10. There were pictures on the walls of the rooms.
11. The policemen found the thieves.
12. Open the windows and shut the doors, please.
13. We saw dictionaries on the shelves.
14. These families needed new flats.
15. Use your dictionaries.
7 Complete these sentences with a singular or a plural noun.
1. There are many (class, classes) in a big school.
2. London and New York are (city, cities).
3. There are a lot of (policeman, policemen) in London.
4. How many (toast, toasts) do you want?
5. Lots of (person, people) are unhappy about it.
6. Several (child, children) are in the yard.
7. She's a rich (lady, ladies).
8. Our (computer, computers) are very expensive.
9. The (book, books) is very interesting.
10. Many small (village, villages) are very nice.
11. Let me give you some (advice, advices).
12. There's a lot of (furniture, furnitures) in the room: three (desk, desks), four (table, tables) and one (sideboard, sideboards).
13. The (woman, women) has two (son, sons).
14. (Fruit, Fruits) is useful for our health.
15. He's fond of lots of interesting (information, informations)..
16. There are many (dish, dishes) in the cupboard.
8 Translate the following sentences into English.
1. Ее волосы совсем темные. Они очень красивые.
2. Эти новости очень интересные.
3. Ваши деньги на столе. Возьмите их.
4. Она делает успехи в английском языке.
5. У нее достаточно знаний для того, чтобы выполнить эту работу.
6. Ваши брюки слишком длинные.
7. Мои очки на столе. Подайте их мне, пожалуйста.
8. В этом году фрукты очень дешевые.
9. На столе апельсины, бананы, виноград и другие фрукты.
10. Какие новости? — Я не удовлетворен своими успехами в английском языке.
11. Ваши советы очень полезные.
12. Математика — трудный предмет.
13. Лестница длинная и узкая.
14. Там очень много народу.
15. Его одежда грязная и мокрая. Постирай ее, пожалуйста.
16. Его знания обширны.
17. Фрукты очень полезны.
18. Мои часы отстают, и я часто опаздываю.
19. Купи, пожалуйста, бутылку молока, буханку хлеба и пару пирожных.
9 Make possessives using the words from a) and b).
MODEL: your sister's house
a) Your sister, my teachers, yesterday, most people, Jonathan, Katie, doctors, Ann and Pat, our dog, tomorrow, those women, my parents, their friend, Sam and Jill, his neighbour, her brother, these workmen, today, our country, the world.
b) Address, instruments, car/cars, ideas, legs, clothes, father/ fathers, fear of heights, newspaper, health, education, trip, concert, library, nose/noses, future, toy/toys, house, name/names, son.
10 Give the possessive forms if possible.
1. the poems of Lermontov
2. the hat of the man
3. the voice of his sister
4. the new club of the students
5. the signature of Mr Brown
6. the watches of my friend
7. the pages of the book
8. the plays of Shakespeare
9. the parents of my groupmate Ted
10. the walls of the room
11. the birthday of my daughter Helen
12. the shop of the chemist
13. the conclusions of the experts
14. the flat of Peter and Helen
15. the colour of the carpet
11 Open the brackets, using the Possessive Case.
1. Have you seen (Henry) new bicycle?
2. Let's join in the (children) games.
3. We heard the (men) shouts in the distance.
4. Mary sings in the (ladies) choir.
5. That building is (Jack and Marry) house.
6. What's (the Wilsons) number?
7. You can buy this mixture at the (chemist).
8. Henry is a ballet-dancer at the Bolshoi Theatre which is the (world) best ballet house.
9. The (ship) crew stood on deck.
10. She went to the (baker).
11. (Moscow) theatres are the best in the world.
12. My (sister) friend is coming to tea.
13. The name of Mrs (Smith) dog is Micky.
14. My elder brother (Peter) son is very ill.
15. He's my (sister) (husband) father.
16. Ellen is a (lady) servant.
17. Hilary is going to the (dentist).
18. The students have ten (minutes) break.
19. That's (the Prince of Wales) helicopter.
20. Did you see the cartoon in (yesterday) newspaper.
12 Translate the following sentences into English.
1. Рабочий день моего брата начинается в 9 часов утра.
2. Муж моей сестры сейчас в Лондоне.
3. Это твое кольцо? Да, это подарок моей тети.
4. Комната вашего друга большая? — Нет, она маленькая, но очень светлая.
5. Твой друг хорошо говорит по-английски? — Да, очень хорошо.
6. Как зовут вашу сестру?
7. Мне неизвестно название этой улицы.
8. Чьи это перчатки? — Я думаю, Дианы.
9. Где вчерашние газеты? — Они на Верином письменном столе.
10. Где деньги? — В сумке брата.
11. Какого цвета глаза Анны?
12. Тебе нравится зонтик Тома? — Да, но он очень тяжелый.
13. Завтрашний митинг состоится в конференц-зале.
14. Жена моего брата не работает, она смотрит за детьми.
15. В саду у Паркеров много необычных деревьев и цветов.
16. Сестра Виктора учится в нашем университете.
17. Она — любимая актриса моей мамы.
18. Часы Анны спешат. Посмотри на часы Джона, они всегда идут правильно.
19. Ты уже видел новую машину Тома и Салли? — Да, видел.
20. Это ваша собака? — Нет, не наша. Это собака наших соседей.
1 Use a or an.
1. ... elephant
2. ... university
4. ... banana
5. ... ticket
6. ... MP
7. ... honest man
8. ... one-hour lesson
9. ... useful book 10. ... European
11. ... hand
12. ... unit 13— exam
14. ... school
15. ... orange
16. ... X-ray
17. ... spoon
18. ... vase
19. ... underpass
20. ... one-pound coin
2 Fill in the blanks with a or an.
1. That flower is ... rose.
2. This is ... English class.
3. That is ... hotel.
4. It takes me half ... hour to get to the station.
5. A football match is ... interesting thing.
6. I spent ... hour and ... half to fulfil my homework.
7. ... apple is ... fruit.
8. This is ... historical monument.
9. My mother has ... headache.
10. ... hotel room in New York is very expensive.
11. This is ... important document.
12. She is ... pretty woman.
13. This is ... unusual painting.
14. ... university is ... higher school.
15. ... tomato is ... vegetable.
3 Insert a or an where necessary.
1. This is ... good example.
2. ... English is ... international language.
3. ... health is better than ... wealth.
4. ... lemon is yellow.
5. ... polite person is always pleasant.
6. ... men and ... women like sport.
7. Twain and London are ... American writers.
8. That is ... beautiful flower.
9. I hate ... foggy weather.
10. ... orange is sweeter than ... lemon.
11. I like eating ... spicy food.
12. ... people are different.
13. This is ... English grammar book.
14. ... love is blind.
15. ... pound is lighter than ... kilogram.
4 Use a, an or some.
1. She made ... announcement.
2. He drinks ... water.
3. I had ... accident.
4. He has ... work to do tonight.
5. I need ... information.
6. I got ... telegram from my sister.
7. Give me ... watch, please.
8. You may take ... sugar.
9. I prefer ... tea.
10. There's ... sofa and ... armchairs in the room.
11. I'd like ... coffee.
12. Which would you like: ... apple or ... orange?
13. I heard ... interesting news.
14. We bought ... furniture.
15. Is there ... letter for me?
5 Insert a, an or one if necessary.
a) 1. ... of my friends advised me to take ... taxi.
2. ... man I met on the train told me ... rather unusual story.
3. He says ... caravan is no good, he needs ... cottage.
4. You've been ... great help to me; ... day I will repay you.
5. He took ... quick look at my car and said, "Buy ... new ... ".
6. Could you send me ... dictionary, please? I'm trying to do ... crossword puzzle. — I'm afraid I've only got ... dictionary, and Tom's borrowed it.
7. I have ... flat on the top floor. You get ... lovely view from there.
8. ... day a new boss came. He was ... tall, dark man with ... pleasant smile.
9. ... day Tom was driving along ... country road in ... car. 10. You're making ... mistake after another. What's the
matter with you?
b) ... day last year I was hurrying to get home. I was about ... hour late. I had taken the train that arrived at the station at 6:15. Anyway, there was ... woman standing under the trees, and there were several children with her. I saw ... child clearly. She was ... lovely blonde — but I only heard the others. Suddenly ... strange thing happened. The girl took some stones and leaves out of the pocket and threw ... stone after another into the air.
6 Contrast the use of definite and indefinite articles. Use models.
MODEL 1: There are four seasons in a year. — The four seasons of the year are spring, summer, autumn and winter.
1. There are seven days in a week.
2. There are twelve months in a year.
3. There are three rooms in the flat.
4. There are four parts in Great Britain.
5. Edinburgh and Glasgow are two Scottish cities.
MODEL 2: History is an interesting subject. — The history of the English language is a difficult subject.
1. ... telephone in my room is old. ... telephones are expensive in many countries.
2. ... coffee is good in the morning. ... coffee in this cup is from Brazil.
3. ... milk is good for children. ... milk in the bottle is fresh.
4. ... gold they discovered is excellent. ... gold is an expensive metal.
5. I drink ... water before breakfast. ... water in the Black Sea is salty.
6. ... apple a day is good for you. ... apple in my hand is from the Crimea.
7. ... rose in this hand looks beautiful. ... rose smells sweet.
8. Medicine studies ... man. ... man in the study is my teacher.
9. ... cheese in this shop is tasty. ... cheese is useful.
10. ... life of an insect is short. ... life is fine. J
11. People can't live without... air. ... air in London is smoggy.
12. He likes ... lakes. He likes ... lakes of England.
13. She wants to live in ... England of Queen Elisabeth I. She lives in ... England.
14. Will you show me around ... Moscow? Certainly, and I'll show you ... Moscow I like, by the way.
7 Insert the if necessary.
1. ... youngest boy has just started going to ... school, ... eldest boy is at ... college.
2. She lives on ... top floor of an old house. When ... wind blows, all ... windows rattle.
3. Do you know ... time? — Yes, ... clock in ... hall has just struck nine.
4. Peter's at ... office but you could get him on ... phone. There's a telephone box just round ... corner.
5. ... family hotels are ... hotels which welcome ... parents and ... children.
6. On ... Sundays my father stays in ... bed till eleven o'clock, reading ... Sunday papers.
7. Then he gets up, puts on ... old clothes, has ... breakfast and starts ... work in ... garden.
8. Did you come by ... air? — No, I came by ... sea. I had a lovely voyage on ... Queen Elisabeth II.
9. There'll always be a conflict between ... old and ... young. ... young people want ... change but ... old people want ... things to stay ... same.
10. You can fool some of ... people all ... time, and all ... people some of ... time; but you cannot fool all ... people all ... time.
11. ... most of ... stories that ... people tell about ... Irish aren't true.
12. ... married couples with ... children often rent ... cottages by ... seaside for ... summer holidays.
13.1 went to ... school to talk to ... headmistress. I asked her to let Ann give up ... gymnastics and take ... ballet lessons instead.
Имена существительные делятся на нарицательные (Common nouns), например: book, car, air, love и на собственные (Proper nouns), например:...
|Аванти» Продюсерская группа «taboo group|
Учредителями фестиваля выступают чуп «Образовательно-продюсерский центр «Аванти», продюсерская группа «Taboo Group» при поддержке...
|Part I. Accidence the noun||Part I. Accidence the noun|
|Аванти» п родюсерская группа «taboo group||Новости от членов insme |
Присуждение премий в области предпринимательства Kauffman FastTrac meta Group
|South african film festival|
«Otelo Burning» is about a group of young people from the Lamontville township near Durban
|Chrisbon Business Services |
Бизнес мир России is published by Global Ventures Group (cis) Ltd in Moscow, and it is registered
|«avs Group» Мы добиваемся успеха и содействуем развитию человека, общества и государства, эффективно |
Поэтому нашими партнерами становятся люди и компании, которые так же, как и мы, хотят всегда и во всем быть
|A I noun; pl. As, A's, Aes 1 первая буква англ алфавита 2 условное обозначение чего-л первого по порядку, сортности и т п. 3 amer высшая отметка за|
Наполеоном 10) придаёт имени собственному значение принадлежности к семье she married a Forsyte она вышла замуж за одного из (семьи)...