Скачать 1.43 Mb.
Exercise 1. Use the verb to say or to tell.
1. "You ought to be grateful," he __ her in his light cocksure conceited manner. (Greene) 2. He __ I must talk with your friend. (Marryai) 3. "Look at me, Gretta," he __ her, patting her.cheek with his hand. (CcUdxuell) 4. I __ I would write to him to-morrow. (Marryat) 5. They met some people soon after they had got inside, who __ they had been there [in the maze] for three quarters of an hour, and had had about enough of it. Harris __ them they could follow him, if they liked... They __ it was very kind of him, and fell behind, and followed. (Jerome K. Jerome) 6. Harris kept on turning to the right, but it seemed a long way, and his cousin __ he supposed it was a very big maze. "Oh, one of the largest in Europe," __ Harris. (Jerome K. Jerome) 7. Harris __ he thought it was a very fine maze. (Jerome K. Jerome) 8. The man __ he would go and consult his master. (Jerome K. Jerome) 9. Fox __ me that you were here! (Wilson) 10. She __ she would — us all about it the next time we met.
Exercise 2. Translate into English.
1. Она часто говорила, что хотела бы увидеть Черное море. 2. Она сказала, что очень занята и давно не была в театре. 3. Она мне не сказала, что говорила с вами. 4. Она всегда говорила, что хорошо их знает. 5. Она никому не сказала, что уезжает. 6. Она часто говорила, что знакома с ними. 7. Он сказал, что ему надо позвать товарища. 8. Профессор сказал, что в лаборатории было сделано много опытов. 9. Он говорил, что каждый день ходит в Публичную библиотеку. 10. Он мне говорил, что интересуется геологией. 11. Сказала вам Ольга, что она приняла ваше предложение? 12. Она говорила, что не может понять, почему они переменили решение. 13. Она говорила, что книга ей нравится. 14. Она сказала, что любит исторические романы. 15. Она говорила, что примет участие в работе. 16. Мы сказали, что хотим пойти в оперу. 17. Она говорила, что Нина хорошо пишет стихи. 18. Мы сказали, что вернемся через час. 19. Мы им сказали, что не будем их ждать. 20. Она говорила, что любит балет.
Exercise 3. Convert into indirect speech.
1....the General said: "I want to consult you, Lionel. It's about my boy, Hubert." (Galsworthy) 2. The old man said, "I had to go in the cave, son." (Warren) 3. "My father is a preacher," Isaak said, "so I have read my Bible, I remember about the miracle of the loaves and fishes." (Warren) 4. "Hans," said the Miller, "I will give you my wheel-barrow." (Wilde) 5. "Welll" cried Pinch, "you are the strangest young man, Martin, I ever knew in my life." (Dickens) 6. "Very well, then," said my friend's wife, rising, "all I have to say is, that I shall take the children and go to a hotel until these cheeses are eaten. I decline to live any longer in the same house with them." (Jerome K.. Jerome) 7. "Maurice," she said, "I've just telephoned to the doctor." (Bennett) 8. "I can go to England at the beginning of June, doctor, but not before," I said. "You must go before. It is absolutely necessary," said the doctor. "You must go at once." (Marryat) S. JI will ring when I want you," she said to the maid. (Bennett) 10. "Boy," the lieutenant said, "if you aren't careful you'll be. ordered off this mountain." (Warren)
Exercise 4. Translate into English.
1. Она заявила, что не хочет идти с нами. 2. Она нас уверяла, что не говорила с Ниной. 3. Она отрицала, что говорила с Ниной. 4. Она напомнила мне, что я обещала позвонить Елене. 5. Она признала, что ошиблась. 6. Он нам сообщил, что достал билеты.
Exercise 5. Convert into indirect speech.
1. "Davis, Davis," he called, "what's the time? My watch has stopped." (Greene) 2. "Jebb," he said, "have you been in many caves? Are you a caver?" (Warren) 3. "When will Mr. Dodson be back, Sir?" inquired Mr. Pickwick. (Dickens) 4. "And have you anything else you want to explain to me, Denry?" said Mr. Maybold. "Nothing, Sir." (Hardy) 5. "What," said Dinny, when they were seated before an omelette Bulgarienne, "do you know about Professor Hallorsen, Uncle Adrian?" (Galsworthy) 6. At last she said: "Well, Uncle Adrian, will you try and think of any way of strafing that man for the scurvy way he's treated Hubert?" (Galsworthy) 7. The first question on Marianne's side was, "How long has this been known to you, Elinor? Has he written to you?" "I have known it these four months." (Austen) 8. "Who is there?" he [Arthur] whispered. "It's me, Sir," answered a venerable voice. "Mrs. Newitt, the housekeeper. Is Mrs. Forrest ill?" "Mrs. Newitt," he said, "where is your master?" (Bennett) 9. "Who's that fellow?" said Lord Saxended... (Galsworthy) 10. "What are you doing humped that way on the ground? Do you think that is ladylike?" Mrs. Bingham said to her daughter. (Warren) 11. "Is there anything else on your mind, Erik?" Haviland asked. (Wilson) 12. "Tom," she [Maggie] said timidly when they were out of doors, "how much money did you give for your rabbits?" (Eliot) 13. Arrived at Shropshire House Sir Lawrence said: "Can we see the Marquess Pommett?" "I rather think he's having his lesson, Sir Lawrence." (Galsworthy)
Exercise 6. Translate into English.
1. Мы его спросили, где он купил словарь. 2. Он меня спросил, читала ли я Теккерея в оригинале или в переводе. 3. Она меня спросила, где я живу. 4. Я спросила сестру, почему она не хочет идти со мной в театр. 5. Я спросила, часто ли она ходит в филармонию. 6. Он спросил меня, видела ли я когда-нибудь его сестру. 7. Он спросил, где я работаю. 8. Она спросила, почему я отклонила это предложение. 9. Она спросила, когда приходила Нина. 10. Он спросил, люблю ли я драму.
Exercise 7. Convert into indirect speech.
1. "Get up, Jo-Lea," Mrs. Bingham said. (Warren) 2. "Daddy — oh, Daddy," the girl said, "oh, let me stay." (Warren) 3. "Martha!" he called in a loud, commanding voice that echoed up and down the corridor. "Martha, come back here!" (Caldwell) 4. "Gretta, please say something," he begged. "I've got to know if you are all right." (Caldwetl) 5. "Both of you come with me," Conder said, "and have a drink at the Fitzroy." 6. "Now, Miss Dunbar," said Holmes, "I beg you to tell us exactly what occurred that evening." (Conan Doyle) 7. "Now you go and get me my hammer. Will," he would shout. "And don't you go, Maria." (Jerome K,- Jeromey 8. "Come here, Martha!" he called, at the same time beckoning urgently. "What is it, Dr. Kenworthy?" she. asked in her shy, breathless manner. '-'Let's have some coffee, Martha." (Caldwelt) 9. She. went to the window and looked out. "Do come and look, Arthur," she said. (Bennett) 10. "And now, mamma," said Sylviane, "let us' hear this wonderful news." (Bennett) 11. "Come back," said the warning voice of Mrs. Hewitt, "don't let him see you." Arthur withdrew his head. (Bennett) 12. "The lake is lovely," said Arthur. "Suppose we go for a sail," she [Sylviane] replied, taking his hand. (Bennett) 13. "What can I do?" he said, gruffly. "They wouldn't'listen to me." "Try," said Jean. "Some men are always listened to." (Galsworthy) 14. He turned to her with a rough gesture. "Don't worry, Savina!" (Wilson) 15. "Lilly, Lilly," he said. "Don't go away!" (Wilson) 16. "Play one," he said to Monty softly, "play one of your brother's songs." (Warren) 17. "Then, dearest, look at me," said Stephen (to Maggie] in deepest, tenderest tones of entreaty. "Don't go away from me yet. Give me a moment's happiness — make me feel you've forgiven me." (Eliot) 18. "Do me a last favour, Betteredge," says Mr. Franklin, "get me away to the train as soon as you can!" (Collins) 19. "Now, Mr. Betteredge," he went on, "suppose we drop speculation, and get to business." (Collins)
Exercise 8. Translate into English.
1. Он ей сказал, чтобы она не запирала дверь. 2. Мы ей сказали, чтобы она не звонила Ольге, 3. Мы ему сказали, чтобы он нас не ждал. 4. Доктор сказал им, чтобы они не будили больного. 5. Секретарь сказал, чтобы они не отправляли письма. 6. Мой приятель предложил, чтобы мы пошли в Русский музей. 7. Она предложила нам провести день за городом. 8. Доктор посоветовал мне поехать на юг. 9. Она предложила перевести для нас статью. 10. Она предложила, чтобы мы перевели статью. 11. Мы ему сказали, чтобы он пришел' к пяти часам.
Exercise 9. Convert into indirect speech.
1. "О Dickl" she exclaimed, "I am so glad you are came!" (Hardy) 2. "Sylviane! forgive me!" Arthur exclaimed. (Bennett) 3. "It's lovely here," Kay Rimmer said. "What a lot of books you have." (Greene) 4. "Oh, how can you be cruel like that!" she cried. (Warren) 5. "O, please forgive me, Tom; my heart will break," said Maggie. (Eliot) 6. "How nice to see a new face," the woman in black velvet said. (Greene) 7. "O, there is Tomf" exclaimed Lucy, clapping her bands. (Eliot) 8. "Oh," she said again at sight of the only picture on the walls, "how lovely. Who's that?" (Greene)
Exercise 10. Translate into English.
1. Он сказал с горечью, что они забыли свои обещания. 2. Она с возмущением сказала, что никак (never) не ожидала такого ответа. 3. Она с грустью сказала, что не может принять участия в экскурсии, так как у нее больна сестра. 4. Она радостно вскричала, что нашла книгу, которую искала несколько месяцев. 5. Она с удивлением спросила, почему ей не сообщили эту новость раньше.
Exercise П. Convert into indirect speech.
1. Swindon: Who arrested this man? Sergeant: I did, sir. 1 found him in the minister's house, sitting at tea, with the lady with his coat off, quite at home. If he isn't married to her, he ought to be. (Shaw) 2. "I beg your pardon, Sir," said Mr. Pickwick [to the young man], "and I am very sorry to disturb the other gentlemen, too, but I come on very particular business." (Dickens) 3. "Good-bye,. Lilian," he said to his wife, pleasantly, kindly. "I'll be coming out ta attend some of these court proceedings." To his sister he said: "Good-bye, Anna. Don't let the others get too down-hearted." (Dreiser) 4. "You wouldn't," he said, "like to leave a message, Miss, or write a note?" "Thank you, no." He stood a moment, looking at her as if debating whether she was armed. "Miss Tasburgh?" he said. "Tasborough," answered Jean. "Lord Saxenden knows me," and raised her eyes. (Galsworthy) 5. "Monsieur," she asked, "do you speak French?" "Perfectly." "Then can you tell me where they take the tickets?" The young man shook his head. "No," said he, "I am a foreigner." The girl sighed. "But what is the matter, ma'moiselle?" (Galsworthy) 6. "There is no good in my going to see little Hans as long as the snow lasts," the Miller used to say to his wife, "for when people are in trouble they should be left alone, and not be bothered by visitors. That at least is my idea about friendship, and I am sure I am right. So I shall wait till the spring comes, and then I shall pay him a visit, and he will be able to give me a large basket of primroses, and that will make him so happy." "You are certainly very thoughtful about others," answered the wife. (Wilde) 7. "Have you mended the hole in the roof yet, little Hans?" cried the Miller in a cheery voice. "It is quite mended," answered little Hans. "Ohl" said the Miller, "there is no work so delightful as the work one does for others." "It is certainly a great privilege to hear you talk," answered little Hans,... "But I am afraid I shall never have such beautiful ideas as you have." (Wilde) 8. "Dear little Hans," said the Miller,"would you mind carrying this sack of flour for me to market?" "Oh, I am so sorry", said Hans, "but I am really very busy to-day. I have got all my creepers to nail up, and all my flowers to water, and all my grass to roll." (Wilde) 9. "Who is there?" cries the Doctor. "Little Hans, Doctor." "What do you want, little Hans?" "The Miller's son has fallen from a ladder, and has hurt himself, and the Miller wants you to come at once." (Wilde) 10. She [Caro] said, her eyes wild, but with no tears in them. "I don't know how I shall bear being alone. I don't know how I am to bear it." (Snow) 11. "I'm coming to Drover all in good time," Bennett said. "There'll be petition to sign. Do you expect us to attack the prison?" (Greene) 12. Drouet was on the corner waiting, in good spirits. "Hello, Carrie," he said... "Got here safe, did you? Well, we'll take a car." (Dreiser) 13. "Minnie! What's the matter? Here, wake up," said Hanson, disturbed, and shaking her by the shoulder. "Wha-what's the matter?" said Minnie drowsily. "Wake up," he said, "and turn over. You're talking in your sleep." (Dreiser) 14. Mrs. Volterra shook hands with Erik. "Hello," she said, "I'm very glad to know you at last." (Wilson) 15. Dinny took a cigarette, and, with a long puff, said: "You saw great — Uncle Cuffs, didn't you, Uncle Adrian?" (Galsworthy) 16. She said quickly, trying to divert him: "I saw the Queen just now. Going into the cinema. Why does she wear hats like that?" (Greene)
Table of contents
Part I. ACCIDENCE 4
THE NOUN 4
THE USE OF ARTICLES 7
THE ADJECTIVE 29
THE PRONOUN 30
WORDS DENOTING STATE 33
THE VERB 33
TENSES IN THE ACTIVE VOICE 34
THE PASSIVE VOICE 58
MODAL VERBS 62
THE SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD 74
THE NON-FINITE FORMS OF THE VERBS (VERBALS) 92
THE PARTICIPLE 92
THE GERUND 102
THE INFINITIVE 114
THE ADVERB 132
MODAL WORDS 133
THE INTERJECTION 134
THE PREPOSITION 134
THE CONJUNCTION 135
THE PARTICLE 136
GRAMMATICAL HOMONYMS 137
Part II. SYNTAX 139
THE SIMPLE SENTENCE 139
WORD ORDER 152
THE COMPOUND AND THE COMPLEX SENTENCE 157
SEQUENCE OF TENSES 168
INDIRECT SPEECH 170
|Part I. Accidence the noun||Noun 1 Group these nouns into countable and uncountable|
|Everything концертный зал КаРИбский |
«New Amerykah don ross Цветной б-р, д. 11, строение 2 международный дом Part Two: Return Of The Ankh» 1 ноября
|The book may not be copied in whole or in part|
Этот стих, страшный и злой, сочинил я внезапно, уходя от тебя после глупой ссоры, когда
|Winter Semester, 2 hrs of tutorial per week, 4 ects credits|
Введение в литературоведение /Wstęp do literaturoznawstwa/, part I–iii, Katowice 1978.
|Collection Textes de référence Collège|
Le Code de la propriété intellectuelle n’autorisant aux termes de l’article L. 122-5-2° et 3°, d’une part, que les copies
|Boyzcat qxd 26/10/96 01: 08 Page 1|
Съемка Ирины Колесниченко. При участии Владимира Дубосарского Videotrack ‘Coyote’ is part of the exhibition. © XL video, Zvezdoxhetov...
|Краткое содержание: part I : information on company proposing project|
|Краткое содержание: part I : information on company proposing project|
| This article is about the system of local adverbs as a part of local structures in the Russian language. |
ЛН как иерархической системы, для чего необходи- выполняла бы роль целостного грамматического ядра фсп.